I’m new to all of this blogging stuff. I’m finally figuring out how to read new posts with Google Reader. Yay me! Up until this point, I’ve always requested post updates via e-mail. But sadly, I didn’t create a new e-mail account for those e-mail updates. Nooooo…I wasn’t smart enough to do that! So when I get home for work each day, I sometimes have 50+ e-mail notes from bloggers that have a new post to their blog. God help me when I leave and go out of town for the weekend and don’t have access to my account for two days. I can come back and it’s not an exaggeration to say I sometimes have 150 or more e-mails. So I’m figuring this Google Reader stuff out. It’s been slow, but it’s happening!
But I’ve got some questions:
1. Why do I see everything for one bloggers post, but only maybe the first paragraph of another bloggers post? Is there something I can do so I can see the entire post?
2. I see a listing of blogs down the left-hand side of Google Reader. At the top, I see a heading entitled “subscriptions” and I’m thinking the number that appears at the end of that heading is telling me how many new post updates are being displayed (those that I haven't read). Is that right?
3. Under the heading “subscription”, I see a list of what I assume is the title of the blogs I follow. Correct?
4. Why is it that sometimes I go through all the unread blogs, but there are still numbers displayed after the heading “subscriptions”? I can look through the listing of posts (all ninety gazillion of them) and I can see numbers at the end of the blog title, and when I click on the blog title, I see posts displayed that I didn’t see when I was scrolling through the new posts. Huh? Why is that?
5. If I read a post that I want to “open” (what other word would I use?) either to read after I’ve gone through all the new post updates, or to enter a contest, or to leave a comment or whatever, is there a way to do that without going back up to the title of the post, right-clicking and then opening it in a new tab? Surely there is a way to do it easier than what I’m doing.
6. How do I un-follow a blog I am following? I’ve been reading blogs for about six years, and my tastes have certainly changed a lot in those six years. And is there some sort of courtesy you go through to let a blogger know you’ve un-followed them? I know that a lot of you are concerned about the number of followers you have (I don't know why, but maybe one day I'll understand). And I know you get concerned when you lose some. So please educate me. I want to be a good girl. At least about this. Yeah, yeah. I pick my battles. I don't always want to be a good girl. That's no fun!
Is there anything else I need to know about Google Reader that I haven’t already touched upon in this post?