Thursday, July 7, 2011

Still playing with my granddaughter

Well, it's been a fun week, but it's almost come to an end.  I've had my 5-year old granddaughter since Friday afternoon, and my oh my, I'm finding it hard to believe I had twins and kept my house in order.  Maybe it's just the fact that as a grandmother I'm all about trying to do fun things with my granddaughter and not focus on keeping things clean around the house.  I've discovered (yet once again!) that she's more content to sit and play games on the computer than going places and playing. 

We went to the pool for 3 hours earlier this week.  Stayed in the pool the entire time.  She had a blast, and I did too!

Went to a puppet show yesterday, but left less than 10 minutes after it started because she was "bored". 

Today we will have our last full day together.  We plan on visiting her aunt and uncle (my daughter and her husband) who live about 40 minutes away.  I hope to do some shopping for clothes and shoes for her while we're out.  But with the way things are going right now, it doesn't look like that will happen.  I mean, how many excuses can you come up with to delay brushing your teeth, brushing your hair, and getting dressed (how much easier it was when you could put what you wanted to on her and didn't have to worry about her opinion about what she wanted to wear).  There are so many excuses to slow down our departure.  Just getting breakfast down her was a 30-minute playtime. 

I haven't had time to play with the new laptop, or even load the software for my camera.  HA!  I haven't even taken any picture since she's been here.  What a terrible grandmother I've been.  Well, I really haven't.  We've had so much fun since she's been here - playing on the computer (we've found so many websites for games), making a tent with two chairs and a quilt hung over them, snuggle time at bedtime, practicing spelling and reading, and our short foray into the sewing room this morning.  Hopefully we'll find time after our visit with her aunt and uncle for her to try to sew a small blanket for her bunny rabbit.  She picked out some fabrics that sadly don't look good together, but they're what she wants, so that's what she'll have.  It took a long time for her to make her decision.  She selected six fabrics for blocks to make her center, and then four fabrics for the border (a different color on each side).  Hey!  Maybe I can remember to take photos when she's sewing.  Yeah, right!!  Anyway, I need to cut the six fabrics for the center blocks.  I bought one of those glue sticks and will glue the fabrics together so they won't shift when she sews them.  Hopefully we can get that done this evening before bedtime. 

I've kept up with everything going on with all of you while she's been here.  While she's been playing on the computer with her games, I've been playing on the computer with mine.

The week has flown by, and it's hard to believe it's time to take her home.  I know I need to take my energy pills, because when I get her home, I'll be cleaning my mom's house.  There will be plenty of dishes and clothes to wash, floors to vacuum, bathrooms to clean, and groceries to buy. 

When I return, it will be back to the daily grind of my life as a Budget Analyst, with numbers and spreadsheets and getting to work at 6:00 a.m.  One of the reasons I don't look forward to retirement - I like having structure to my life.  Knowing I have to do specific things each day.

Hoping all of you have had a lovely 4th of July with your families, and you remembered the reason we celebrate this holiday.

3 comments:

quiltzyx said...

Sounds like you've been having lots of fun with your granddaughter this week! I can't imagine even wanting to go clothes shopping with a 5-year old - I don't even like to do that for myself. lol

So, when you retire, you'll just have to make yourself a new schedule. You could even make yourself a spreadsheet if that would make you feel more organized! Appoint yourself CEO & away you go.....!

Beena said...

My son is almost eighteen, and I still don't seem to be able to get anything done when he's around (laughing). I think it's just the way it is!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your granddaughter. And all that other stuff will still be there to do later! (wink)

Barbara said...

I can relate, love the time with my two grandchildren, but I get oh so tired! :) Indeed, how did we do it?!